4.8.11

vintage potato basket love & my thrift-hunting perfect kid...

mooorning....
this is what i'm shouting up to my babies all snuggled upstairs in their beds, windows open listening to the british summer rain...
so...mooorning across the countryside & globe to you lot...

i have a lovely story, with a wee make-over thrown in for y'all today...
i don't know if you have sons or daughters or not...
or if you just *borrow* little ones when you need an excuse to...you know...see Toy Story 3 over the hols...or to buy the giant sized pop corn *for-the-kids* ;) at the movies...
but i have both...& my boy just keeps on giving...
Sol is a well-trained-vintage-spotting-kid...
he spotted these two little gems at 50 paces in our village market last week...


potato picking baskets...
i'd alluded to them many times round the garden table...
i'd mentioned many times the one frenchy potato picking basket i had seen at a vintage shop up the road...
i thought no-one was listening...
well i was wrong...big time!
the kid was listening...
we were heading up to the weekly farmers market in our village square...
it's getting bigger & more varied as summer rolls on...
not that we gave two hoots about the blocks of farm butter or endless strawberries when we spotted these gorgeous things...


he bolted raced calmly up to the vintagey stall & nabbed those babies...
one over each arm...& grinned at me...
i honestly didn't care how much they were- he was so delighted with himself i would've paid anything...
{just for the record Ritchie honey- not really anything!}
the one i had been lusting over *up-the-road* was £50...that's a lot of potatoes!!
i readied myself...spotted the line at the bank...& nearly fell over when she said that he could have them both for £15...!


the kid is a up-cycling-make-mum-delightfully-happy-vintage-spotting-genius!
look at these lovelies....!

but...yellow is probably my least fave house colour & whilst i love red...it's just not me...
i lived with them like this for the weekend...
i moved them around & talked myself into the virtues of yellow & red sitting alongside our mix match of loved goodies...
but it wouldn't last...& again the genius kid suggested i paint them white...
i seriously love this trained up boy...
& then, to nail the decision, i came across this stuff...
Painter's Touch - multi purpose spray paint in *heirloom white*...{check it out here- Rust-oleum}


it is heaven & convenience in a aerosol can...
it's instant...consistent & perfect for fiddly jobs like old wire potato picking baskets...
i am buying shares in the company...
how brilliant is this stuff!!
you can spray wood, metal , ceramics- virtually anything...
it's my new household drug of choice...




the gals beds are up soon...
black to white wrought iron...
then that lovely little steel-legged school desk in the playroom...
those rotten photo frames tossed in a  box in my sewing room...
there is no stopping me...
all thanks to my gorgeous boy!




what d'ya think?
don't you adore a story of love, family, potato baskets & awesome time-saving spray paint...
a little make-over encouraged by a soccer-scooter-skateboard-park-mad-10-year-old-kid...
it made my day!


so...
next time you see a perfectly shaped-hideous coloured jug at a market...
grab it...& spray the little treasure...
stash that wicker basket -it's too easy to paint now...
throw that stool in the boot...
they can all be changed to perfectly vintaged & lovely in 10 minutes tops...


p.s....
i've got my new FB page up & running...
i'm putting up extra blog *photo shoot* pickies & other creations...
great websites i shop on & blog discoveries...
love to hear what you think on all these things & more...
come & say hi...

xxx

p.p.s...
i dropped my canon dslr off a park bench a week ago- that's how much i love watching my kids do skate tricks in the park- i jumped & dropped my camera!
so you'll have to bare with me & my i-phone pickies this week as my beloved never-leaves-my-side camera is at the *canon spa*!

~~~

linking up today *here* at
*my uncommon slice of suburbia*
head over for some seriously gorgeous inspiration



22 comments:

  1. My, you have raised him well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the baskets, and isn't it nice to know that someone is listening to us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be so proud! Beautiful baskets and a great son! x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow--I'm so jealous--love the chairs and vintage baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that is what i call a great find, well done Sol, Mum trained you well :).. and so much better white, love them x

    ReplyDelete
  6. well done to your son! what a cool kid. love the baskets, the story and the photo with the mirror.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a find. I love the little feet on the baskets. Good job Sol, you have a fine treasure eye!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your boy is a genius! i have a similar basket but it is an egg basket. spray paint is my best friend, it is so easy and quick and cheap! i can't wait to see the beds painted now. glad you are back melissa, i missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to borrow Sol...as my kids do as much eye rolling as their father when in the vicinity of vintage markets....I didn't know these were potato baskets...I have a red one (bought in Australia)...would love to put my spuds in it but I think they would turn green and start sprouting strange things!! Robx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sol is a ripper. You've trained him well, Miss Melissa. Fabbo! Now I'm off to clickety-click on that paint to see if we can get it over here..J x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun! I've been looking for vintage, metal baskets except in a rectangle shape. No luck yet, but this gives me hope!
    The spray paint made such a difference - they look great!
    ok, off to check out your fb page!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are lovely! We just moved from Colorado to Texas a couple weeks ago and I am itching to see what their antique stores and flea markets have in store for me to bring home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loooved your sweet finds! My girls are in training too- they can spot a hot pink garage sale sign from miles away! Hooray for future junkers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. fabulous looks so sweet on that table. now i have to search for potato baskets in sydney. hmmm, where to start......

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found an almost identical basket on a recent visit to the local antique shop. Sort of liking its distressed, aged yellow look, but now contemplating a freshly spray-painted makeover.....decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your chippy chairs are delightful! How do you find such great stuff?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh no, hope your camera is going to survive!!! wonder if we can get the same paint over here is oz?!! yay for your genius son!! you have him well trained!!! isnt it funny how you think they arent paying attention but they are taking in every word!! Hope you all are well, you have been in my thoughts, xxx laura xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! I am on the hunt for a basket just like that AND for that slatted vintage chair. Was that yours already?!?!? I'm in love. Seriously, I've been out the past few weeks searching for that exact chair. Wound up with a not so exciting version. :(

    Please send Sol to me. I desperately need his well-trained eye.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You crack me up. Love the upcycling on the potato baskets. As much as I love red, the white really does look fab. Do you lend out Sol for those of us who need a little bit of extra help in the "spotting fab finds" department?

    Hope all is well in your happy home. Off to check out your FB page. Meredy xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mrs M... Lurve the baskets! I'm going to get me some of that Heirloom White paint. I have a few things around this old place that need brighting up! Sorry to hear about the camera hon. I did the same with our DSL... slid off my knee and onto the sidewalk... totally up the whazoo... The hubby has promised me a new one in the Jan sales... I'll just sit tight! Hope you're having a great weekend. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  21. WELL DONE SOL....very impressed! my sweet baby girl has spotted a few treasure for me, "start em young" is my motto :) i will also be trying heirloom white as well now...looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your clicks are awesome so as your editing. I really like your pictures. Do you have photo business? Also have a business and I runs it with the help of quickbooks, it make me so easy to manage all the funds and accounts at one place. You can try it once if you want. If you are already using Quicken and you can also convert quicken to quickbooks very easily with just School which is built inside it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment...x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...