21.3.10

...2nd hand & nearly spring...



...as the sun & the clouds are still sorting out spring together...i am sorting out & swapping my winter bits for my springy bits...
..whilst doing this i thought i'd take some snaps of my absolute 'favourite & my best' thrifting buys- 3 things that make me happy every day...

...australia has some brilliant '2nd hand' shops, as we call them back home, & i have been virtually brought up on them...
...raised in what i remember as a lovely bohemian household- a quick detour to a 2nd hand shop, on the way to the beach sustained on mums home made museli & honey cookies was pretty standard...

...my dad also is the ultimate bower bird- i actually don't think he's ever thrown anything out- wood is recycled from one part of the house to another, every tap, sink & piece of sandstone is stored in his pandora box garage...until he, well...ahhh actually my mum, has thought up another project for him, herself & something in the garage!

...one can't be raised like this & not continue in the same way...it's just a big part of who i am...& who my brother is...i  would never part with a scrap of fabric- they get tossed into the 2 big baskets of 'bits' next to my sewing table...& my brother has an enviable stash of timber, paint & 'bits'on the go in his backyard studio...
...so our respective partners & kids have also been 'blessed' with the thrill of the old, recycled & pre-loved...

...our home is a lovely mix of vintage & modern- it makes a house, in my eyes, a home...
...so whilst i am giving my lovely old table its final lick of white- {tricky to do this in this part of the world as it may or may not decide to shower on me whilst in action!}...
...i thought i'd relive some of my fave & best finds...


...spotted on the table of a little 'seine' side market in paris...
...worth in emotional & excitement stakes alot more than the 7 euros i paid for it...


...isn't she just gorgeously special...
...a place for my £2 teapot...


...i'm a little obsessed with kitchen thrifting...
...theres something i love about old china & cutlery...




...& nothing in this drawer of history & junking eyecandy cost more than 50p a piece...
...& my favourite & my best ever side table find in the garage sale of a local farm...


...i still smile at it each time i walk upstairs...
...had to borrow back the £2 pocket money i had given one of the kids for this little angel...






...so thanks mum & dad for that oh so humble of beginnings that has created a junk monster...
...what a tin of white paint & a morning at the 2nd hand store or car boot sale can't fix...
...an afternoon of sewing can...
...& mum i thank you for that too...


...don't you just hope that some things become family tradition...




3 comments:

  1. Am becoming hooked myself! Looking forward to the boot sale tomorrow to search out some gems - rain or shine. Adore your table xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written darling..and a wonderful trait to carry on from your childhood :) Hope you are well x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smells like the banana cake is starting to burn, but it will have to wait until I finish reading!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment...x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...